School Parent and Family Engagement Policy
King Elementary School Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy 2022-2023
King Elementary School believes the education of children is a cooperative effort between parents/guardians, students, school personnel, and the community. Parents/guardians are their children’s first teachers. Parent and family engagement positively impacts the effectiveness of the Title I program and contributes significantly to the academic, social, and emotional success of students.
The school staff, in compliance with federal Title I requirements and the Stokes County Schools Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy, will:
- Provide families a copy of the Stokes County Schools Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy and invite them to the annual public meeting for information on Title I and its benefits to King Elementary. Typically, this meeting will be held in September or October in conjunction with a curriculum night.
- Inform parents/guardians of their rights to know teacher and paraprofessional qualifications.
- Provide opportunities for parents/guardians to participate in school activities, to volunteer in their child’s classroom, and to observe classroom activities. Parents/guardians also have the opportunity to volunteer and participate in the PTO and its sponsored activities.
- Offer Parent and Family Engagement activities, meetings, workshops, and parent conferences on a flexible schedule, as necessary, to promote improved student achievement. Parent/Guardian-Teacher Conferences are scheduled at the end of the first quarter in addition to other individually scheduled conferences by the teacher throughout the year.
- Ensure information related to school and parent/guardian programs, meetings, and other activities is sent to parents/guardians in a language they can understand. King Elementary sends out weekly telephone messages and utilizes social media as well as digital apps and print to communicate regularly with families.
- Involve families in an organized, ongoing, and timely way in the planning, review, and improvement of Title I programs, keeping them informed about school curriculum, assessments, and student progress. Various curriculum events are held where grade level information is disseminated.
- Coordinate parent and family engagement activities with local school readiness programs.
- Educate school personnel on the value of parent and family engagement and how to implement programs to increase engagement, thus building ties between the School and families.
- Assist parents/guardians in understanding state academic content, students’ performance standards, and both state and local assessments.
- Provide opportunity for parents/guardians to assist in the review of grade level specific compacts. These are presented at the beginning of each academic year for signatures by the parent/guardian, the student, and the teacher.
The Stokes County Schools Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy is available online at: